Monday, January 3, 2011

Interesting: Bizzare Fests

For today's post we have the most bizarre festivals in the world.

Phuket Vegetarian Festival 


 Vegetarian Festival is held in Thailand during the ninth month of the lunar calendar. It is a sacred ritual in which participants sacrifice themselves for purity of community and their soul. They believe that causing pain by pushing sharp objects through the mouth and cheek repel evil spirits and disease. Believers are going through terrible agony, and believe that they can withstand the pain because their bodies enter the divine spirits that give them supernatural power.




El Colacho


This festival is held in Spain, in Corpus Christi, since back in 1620th year. All children born in the past 12 months vice on mattresses, while adult men from the village of Castrillo de Murcia training as devils and jumping over them. The festival often ends up injuries (usually adult), and it is believed that this ritual cleanses children of original sin, keeps them from disease and evil spirits.





Kanamara Matsuri


This festival is held each spring in Kawasaki (Japan). It is a festival of fertility. During the festival you can buy sweets, vegetables and gifts in the form of the phallus. This festival was very popular among prostitutes, who believed that they will participate in it protect against sexually transmitted diseases. 




Enjoy :)

17 comments:

  1. were i god, seeing my followers mutiliate themselves would inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these people still lighting fires with flint and sending women to a separate hut when they have their menses? Wow, and I complain when a gun-toting presidential-wanna-be wants to shoot at a moose on a hillside. Somewhere in the US there must be a Palin festival or at least there should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd hate to think what they do for the Vegan festival.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say Phuket to that first festival.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear god. I rather just keep the evil spirits inside me....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can think of better things to do in Phuket.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that was really uncomfortable watching the man take those rods to his mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh japan, you always make me lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um. Wow. Baby jumping eh? I think that kind of blew me away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never understood the whole shoving of a million spiked rods in one's body. I mean, I understand every culture is different, but seriously. Who thought of that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That first picture creeped me out.
    Japan makes me lol too haha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why jump over sleeping babies ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'm a little screwed up now.....:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm sure glad i wasn't born in thailand...

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh humanity, how puzzling you are sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails